Why you should consider taking an internship abroad?
Spending some time abroad allows you to meet a lot of new people, get to know new cultures, improve your CV and visit a lot of new cool places. Young people nowadays have many options of gaining international experience, either by taking part in a study exchange program, participating in a summer school, volunteering or taking an internship abroad. Especially the last option is getting more and more popular among young people as it perfectly combines working experience with travelling. We have examined some of the reasons why you should consider taking an internship abroad.
- Improve your CV and increase the chances of getting a job: The job market nowadays is different than it was 20 years ago. Employers are getting more and more demanding and want the candidate with many different skills and almost always require various working experience already right after graduation. If you want to catch the attention of the desired employers you will need a point of distinction and something to stand out of the crowd. And what is better than having the experience of an internship abroad included in your CV? It will let the employer know that you do not only already have working experience but that you are also familiar with working in an international environment.
- Get to know the new culture: The culture in the country where you will be doing your internship will most probably be quite different from the one you know. At the beginning this might seem quite intimidating, but just think about all the new things you can learn from it. This is a great way for you to get more familiar with new customs and traditions, try new types of food and drinks and in general live a different life you were used to have at home.
- Meet new people: Another great thing about doing an internship abroad is meeting a lot of new people. Either locals or other internationals, this will allow you to get to know new cultures and always have a companion for travelling or hanging out in your free time. This is especially important when you live far away from your family and friends.
- Learn a new foreign language: This can really make your everyday life in the country where you will be living easier. Consider taking a language course while your time abroad and get even closer to the culture and people. You will probably not be able to speak fluently after a couple of months, but it will probably be enough to understand the basic things and to include this new knowledge in your CV. Keep in mind that also employers are always happy to see that you can speak at least one foreign language.
- Travelling: Of course the primary reason for doing an internship abroad is to gain new knowledge and working experience, but that does not mean you cannot travel and see a lot of new places. Since you will not be working the whole time, you can take advantage of your free time and discover the nearby places. It really does not matter where you will be doing your internship, there will surely be enough cool places to visit.
- Personal growth: Living abroad is also a great opportunity to get to know yourself better and become more independent. As you will not have the help of your family available at all times you will learn how to deal with issues on your own and will definitely become a stronger person. This is also a great opportunity to discover what you really want to do in life and in general grow as a person.
- Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity: The easiest way to gain international experience is as a student or young professional. It is when you can adapt to changes the easiest and are also able to learn new things very quickly. The experience of an internship abroad will surely be something you will always remember and cherish later on in life.
Although the experience of an internship abroad will be unforgettable, the planning of it can be quite stressful. You will need to take care of all the necessary paperwork, get a working permit or Visa (if necessary), obtain a health insurance and of course, find a place to stay. Since searching for a place to stay abroad can be quite tricky, an online housing platform HousingAnywhere.com assists international students and interns in safely booking a room or an apartment in a foreign country. The whole process from searching to booking a room is easy, fun and safe. So, what are you still waiting for? Put all of your worries and doubts aside and start searching for an internship abroad! We promise it will be worth it!